Today 2-3 out of every 10 persons are suffering from general anxiety. And the number is increasing with the age of the person. Anxiety is something which is something close to fear.
In anxiety, the individual gets nervous or scared by a potential threat that may never occur or there never was anything to be scared of. For example anxiety of speaking in front of the public, taking to the opposite gender, scared of the expectations, etc. These are caused by biological factors, past experiences, and physiological factors. Overthinking about everyday life situations also causes anxiety. They can be controlled by how our brain works.
Diazepam is a drug that belongs to the group known as benzodiazepine, and this drug helps us to get free from anxiety.
Get to know what Diazepam is and how it works
How diazepam works
Diazepam is interacted with the GABA receptors in the brain and then relaxes the individual. But the consumer must not take more than the advised dose. It is harmful. Diazepam is used to get relief from anxiety and seizure disorders. The abnormal electrical function of the nerve cells of the brain is changed by the activity of diazepam.
Pharmacists are not exactly sure how diazepam works inside the brain. It is believed that effects are caused due to its ability to bind strongly with the GABA-benzodiazepine receptor complex, which will enhance the affinity for GABA. GABA is a neurotransmitter that blocks the impulse signal between the nerve cells in the brain. Anxiety, mood disorders, seizure disorder, and pain is linked with the low concentration of GABA.
Dosage forms of Diazepam
Diazepam comes in two different dosage forms. According to the need of the patient, it is advised to the individual patient.
The different dosage form of diazepams are:
- Oral tablets
- Parenteral injectable
Why Diazepam is prescribed to different patients
Diazepam is prescribed to patients for different diseases at different age limits. The drug is prescribed to:
For adults: anxiety, Alcohol withdrawal, muscle spasm, seizure, endoscopy or radiology premedication, status epilepticus, light anesthesia.
For older patients: Alcohol withdrawal, seizure, anxiety and muscle spasm.
For pediatrics: seizure, seizure prophylaxis, muscle spasm, anxiety, and status epilepticus.
The different dosage form of Diazepam
Patients have to use different dosages and dosage forms of this medication for different conditions.
Adults who are treated for anxiety
Oral: 2 mg to 10 mg of diazepam orally 2 to 4 times a day.
- Moderate anxiety disorder is prescribed 2 to 5 mg of IM and IV, repeated in every 3 to 4 hours.
- Severe anxiety disorders are treated with 5 to 10 mg of IM or IV injections every 3 to 4 hours.
Everyday anxiety sufferers must not be treated with this drug, and the dose is scaled according to the severity of the anxiety.
Adults treated for alcohol withdrawal
Oral: 10 mg of diazepam orally 3 to 4 times a day.
- 10 mg of diazepam is used IM and IV and then an additional 5 mg can be administered is necessary.
Other drugs used and the side effects should be considered.
Upsides of Diazepam
- It gives quick relief from the anxiety, muscle spasm and withdrawal symptoms of alcohol, but for a short time.
- Used to treat a seizure in conjunction with other anti-seizure medications.
- Easily available.
Factors we should keep in mind
- There will be a side effect with this medication
- It is advised that a consumer should not take the medication for more than 4 weeks.
- It is a common side effect to feel sleepiness.
- It is advised not to drive or use any works which require full attention because this makes the consumer sleepy.
- Alcohol must be avoided when taking this drug. It will cause the patient to go under a heavy sleep. It may cause patient breathing problems and have difficulty waking up.
- People who have respiratory disorders are advised not to take this medication.
- · It is highly interactive with the opioid type of medications.
You can buy diazepam here if you need.